In most major American cities, no reporter is dedicated to covering higher education. We’re working to change that.
We’re partnering with newsrooms across the country to improve local reporting on higher education. We’re placing an Open Campus reporter in partner newsrooms to focus full-time on thoughtful and investigative coverage of colleges in their community.
The Open Campus reporter is supported by a national team of subject-matter experts, including editors who help with story coaching, editing, and coverage planning.
Our Local Network continues to grow. As of Feburary 2024, we have 12 partner newsrooms around America: CalMatters, Chalkbeat Colorado, El Paso Matters, Mirror Indy, Mississippi Today, PublicSource in Pittsburgh, Signal Cleveland, the Tampa Bay Times, The Texas Tribune, The City in New York City, WBEZ Chicago, and WUNC in North Carolina.
How it works
- The Open Campus reporter is employed by the local newsroom as a full-time reporter on higher education.
- We help cover the salary of the Open Campus reporter, working with local newsrooms to seek support from local foundations and donors to cover a portion of the cost.
- Our national subject-matter experts provide editorial guidance and training.
- We facilitate cross-newsroom projects tackling national issues.
- Stories are published by the local newsroom and by Open Campus. We partner with other national publications to publish stories with broad significance.